The Centre for Investigative Journalism Malawi (CIJM) was established 2013. CIJM is an independent Centre of investigative journalists. We are committed to promoting effective, ethical and original reporting. Reporting should be about Journalistic should favor systematic and contextualized exposure of corruption, exploitation, and other social-justice issues.
The CIJM Malawi is a member of:
– MISA Malawi Chapter
– Media Council of Malawi
– African Network of Centre of Investigative Reporters (ANCIR)
– Global Investigative Journalism Network (GIJN)
– Organized Crime Corruption and Reporting Project (OCCRP)
CIJM will facilitate an exchange of ideas and resources. This will be done by channeling support and technical advice, by promoting dialogue among investigative journalists within Malawi and abroad, facilitate access to information resources that can enhance the quality of Malawian investigative journalism, and promote the highest professional standards, free from ideological and partisan pressures.
Our programmes are:
– Small Investigative Grants disbursement
– Expert Training in Investigative Journalism
– Foreign Internships
– Career Talks in Journalism Training institutions
- To promote Investigative journalism through skills development and mentorship thereby contributing to social and economic accountability in Malawi.
- CIJM envisions a safe and prosperous society where Investigative Journalists become active, productive and effective partners in development.
- The principal objectives of the Centre are:
- a) To build investigative journalism as a profession in all sectors of Malawian media and to establish investigative journalism as a realistic career choice for Malawian Journalists
- b) To promote the interests of Malawian Investigative Journalists in the written, visual or broadcast media
- c) To foster solidarity and excellence among Malawian Investigative Journalists, and to promote cooperation in all matters of common concern
- d) To stimulate professional standards and ethical conduct in both Malawian Investigative Journalists and their media employers
- e) To provide a forum for the dissemination of information useful to Malawian Investigative Journalists